How to join
If you enjoy singing why not come along? Being able to read music is helpful but not as essential as being able to blend your voice with others in your part – and watch the conductor!
RCS understands that potential singers can be put off by the idea of an audition so we hold a free Open Rehearsal on the second Tuesday of the Hertfordshire school term. See our Upcoming Dates for information on the next Open Rehearsal.
New members can come along for a further 2 weeks with no obligation to join.
For the first and second terms of attendance in the choir’s year: full £45, concession £35. For the third term in which you have attended in the current year: full £25, concession £20. In this way, if you attend all three terms, you will receive a substantial discount in the third one. The choir’s year follows the academic year, and runs September to July. Thus the discount is available in the summer term for those who have attended in the previous two terms. The annual subscription will be: full £110, concession £90. (There’s no discount for paying the concessionary subscription annually, as the rate is already discounted.) We ask you to pay the relevant fee to our Treasurer (cheques payable to 'Royston Choral Society' please) by the fourth rehearsal. This all includes hire of music. (There is a small charge for refreshments, and an optional, popular 100 Club!)
RCS is a sociable choir. Members often enjoy a drink together after rehearsals and a group meal a couple of times a year.
Here’s what some singers have said about RCS:
- 'Singing has always been part of my life. Under Andrew O'Brien's leadership I really look forward to something new, challenging and exciting at our Tuesday night rehearsals. I find it very uplifting - especially those moments that make the hairs on the back of my neck rise.'
- 'After a busy day in a hectic job, it's a real stress-buster.'
- 'It’s a great way to meet people, work hard, but still have fun.'
- 'I need to sing! Its great cardiovascular exercise and good for stress. RCS is friendly and relaxed'
- 'It’s challenging, satisfying and a good diversion from everyday life. I like the camaraderie and the concerts'